Thursday 27 September 2012

Homemade Baked Custard Tart

One of the desserts that I always purchase when I'm in Marks and Spencers is their Custard Tarts, they are so tasty. I had always wanted to try making one myself but was always put off by the amount of egg yolks needed...uggg my cholesterol levels....

Finally! I decided to screw the cholesterol and tried making my own. The recipe I used was from Marcus Wareing (you may know him :P) the link to it is HERE. 9 egg yolks isn't so bad....If you read my previous post about my lunch, you now know the reason why I had so many egg whites left.

The only thing I didn't use from his recipe was the lemon zest because I didn't have any lemons. I also added a vanilla pod into the custard and boiled the beans and the pod together in the cream. I also used half single cream and half whipping cream instead of 500mls of whipping cream like the recipe. That was all I had in the fridge, but it still turned out fine.

Here's how mine turned out:





You want to know another reason why I love Custard Tarts? The nutmeg! I love nutmeg, especially when it's freshly grated, absolutely delicious!

I was so worried the custard wouldn't set and that it would be destroyed when I took it out of the tin, but it was fine!!! Not perfect, as you can see, the pastry is a little thick haha I think I'll need to line it a little better next time.

So what are you waiting for? If I can make this, then you most definately can! Go on, ignore the egg yolks, just this once :P

Satsuma-imo.

No comments:

Post a Comment