Tuesday 2 October 2012

DIY: Coca-cola, Ginger and Lemon Chinese Remedy for Sore Throats and Coughs


Good Morning All!

So, my battle with the cold bug has finally come to an end and I lost o(╥﹏╥)o, I've managed to sleep most of it off but I have the most annoying runny nose and a sore throat. But I'm not one to moan and I thought I would share a little chinese sore throat and cough remedy with you all involving Coca-cola. My mum taught me this and my first reaction was probably the same as yours "What?!?! Boil Coca-cola for my sore throat?!" but trust me, it actually does work!

So what you will need is:
  • 250mls Coca-cola - you can use more but have you seen how much sugar is in it?!?!
  • A few slices of Ginger - now I really like ginger so I used about 1 and half inch slice and then sliced those thinly. You can use less if you don't like the fieriness of the Ginger as much as me!
  • A few slices of Lemon - I used 3 slices but feel free to use less if you don't like lemon

Look! 26.5g of Sugar for half a bottle! Craziness!
Just put all the ingredients in a saucepan, let it come to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes to allow the Ginger and Lemon to infuse into the Coca-cola.



Basically, when the Coca-cola boils, the sugar starts to caramelize slightly, making a thin syrup which helps to coat your throat when you drink it, thus making it less sore and helps ease a dry cough. Ginger has very good anti-inflammatory properties and so really helps for a sore throat. Ginger also has "warming" properties, Asians will probably know what I mean by this, but it's kind of hard to explain in english! But basically, it can help to induce sweating and is useful for a cold, as it helps detoxify the body. Lemons are known to be anti-bacterial and they contain high levels of Vitamin C, so again, beneficial as cold remedy.

So, next time those cold germs are too strong for your body, grab a can of Coca-cola and give this remedy a go. It really does work!

For now, I'm going to enjoy lounging around with my favourite mug. ^_^


Satsuma-imo.

No comments:

Post a Comment