Sunday 9 September 2012

Wholemeal Twisted Bread with Pumpkin & Fennel Seed

Hello, Aubergine here. I'm sorry I've been MIA recently. My notebook died about 2 weeks ago and I only got it back from repairs this weekend. Luckily I still had my smartphone to get my internet fix but blogging would have been impossible especially at the the rate I type on a smartphone!

So, recently I've been following Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food TV series and in one of the episodes she made a Twister Bread which looked amazing. I took the twisting idea and applied it to a basic bread recipe I had lying around.

The only reasons I didn't use the original recipe were one, I didn't want to eat another white bread for the 3rd week running and two, because it's a bread for my work lunch. My colleagues tend to interrupt me during my lunch break and talking with poppy seeds stuck in my teeth just wouldn't be professional (or attractive)!!

This is how my bread turned out:




OK...my bread doesn't look as nice as Lorraine's as I was a little reserved with the twisting - next time I'll go all out and twist until I can't twist 'no more'.

Ingredients
500g wholemeal bread flour
325ml warm water
10g salt
2tsp honey
4g dried fast action yeast
handful of pumpkin seeds
1tsp fennel seeds

Method

  1. Put all the ingredients, except the seeds, into a bowl and combine to form a dough.
  2. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic and leave to rise until double in size.
  3. After the 1st rise, turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to a rectangle to about 1cm thickness.
  4. Sprinkle over the seeds and use a knife to cut the dough up into 6 strips.
  5. Twist each strip a few times and stack them together.
  6. Twist the whole thing again and combine into a ring. Leave to rise again until doubled in size.
  7. Bake for 30 mins at 220C/200C fan or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow.
Hopefully I've described the method good enough but if that fails then the link I've provided also has a video so you can see from the master how it's supposed to be done! Enjoy!

-Aubergine


No comments:

Post a Comment