Monday 23 April 2012

Easy-Peasy Pizza

Who doesn't love pizza? Today I managed to sucessfully make a pizza from scratch and it only took me about 20 mins to make the dough. Yep that's right, there is no need to leave this dough to rise and so yo don't need to prepare hours in advance.
Before we get to the dough, let me share a recipe for the tomato sauce, since all good pizzas need a good sauce.
First off you need to get some passata (basically pureed tomatoes), you can get this from the supermarket. Let me list the ingredients I used for the sauce below:

  • 500mls Passata
  • 1-2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon Basil ( fresh is better but I only had dried in stock)
  • A dash of worcester sauce (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Add passata, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, garlic and worcester sauce together in a pot.
Image
Bring this up to the boil and simmer gently to thicken the sauce. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste. The end result should be something like this:
Image
You need to let this cool before spreading it onto your dough.
Right, for the pizza dough you need:
  • 375g plain flour
  • 30g semolina (you may need more than this)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 7g dried active yeast
  • 2 tablespoons of oil
  • 225ml of warm water (you may need less or more water depending on how your dough looks)
First, preheat your oven to 230 degrees celsius and also put your oven trays in there too.
Mix flour, semolina, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Make sure you don't forget to activate the dried yeast in some warm water like I did when I was making bread once! Next combine water and oil then add this and the yeast to the dry ingredients and combine together. Knead this until dough is smooth and elastic. I needed to add more semolina in mine as I found the dough much too watery. I kneaded for about 15mins until the dough was ready.
Image
On some parchment paper, sprinkle some semolina on and shape your dough. This amount of dough makes about 2 thin crust 30cm by 20 cm pizzas. Once you have shaped your dough, sprinkle some more semolina on top and add your sauce on top (leftover sauce can be used for pasta if your wanted!) then you add whatever toppings you want on your pizza. I decided to top mine with roasted peppers, tomatoes, ham, mozzarella and gouda cheese.
Transfer carefully onto your preheated trays and bake for 12-15mins until golden.
Here's my end result:
Image
Yummy, if I don't say so myself!
Satsuma-imo.

No comments:

Post a Comment